Friday, December 28, 2007

A Democratic Inaugural

This afternoon, the 10 Democrats elected to serve the city for the next four years took their oaths of office in a ceremony that was emotional and stirring. It was a party function, not particularly a city event, but since the relevant officiants (our judges and magistrate) and the certifying officer (the county clerk) are Democrats too, the event went smoothly and with dignity.

For the record (cut and paste this for future reference), here are the eight Democrats sworn to serve on the city council, effective at midnight, Jan. 1, 2008.
District 1 - Dan Coffey (returning to office)
District 2 - Bob Caesar
District 3 - Steve Price (returning to office)
District 4 - Pat McLaughlin (pronounced Muk-loch-lun, by the way)
District 5 - Diane Benedetti
District 6 - Jeff Gahan (returning to office)
At-Large - Jack Messer (returning to office)
At-Large - John Gonder

This observer can now testify that each of these eight swore or affirmed to support the Constitution of the United States and the constitution of the State of Indiana. One wonders what the consequences are for violating that part of the oath. At least now, no member of the council can call the suit to redraw legislative boundaries "frivolous." Since the Constitution is clear about equal representation, I will expect to see this council move rapidly to settle the pending lawsuit regarding those districts. Anything else would be a violation of that still-echoing oath, now wouldn't it.

Returning City Clerk Marcey Wisman was sworn in following the individual oath-taking.

Mayor-elect Doug England took a solemn oath and affirmation different in scale and scope from the oath taken by the others.

The audience of family members, party regulars, and interested observers like me were enthusiastic in their congratulations and good wishes. Party chairman Randy Stumler was all smiles, and all retired from the court to partake in refreshments which probably still haven't run out.

For the record, Magistrate Daniel Burke joined judges Terrence Cody, Susan Orth, and Glenn Hancock in administering these oaths.

(Ed. Note: We've included the original context of the post which stirred the disagreement that shows up in the comments below. NA Shadow Council concedes the the judge's given name is "Terrence." We always believed that to be correct, but had seen so many official documents containing the alternate (wrong) spelling that we took erroneous note. Our apologies, and thanks to the eagle-eyed reader who noted it.)We'll note that the senior judge, Mr. Cody, had to once again suffer the indignity of seeing his name misspelled in the official program. The lone Republican elected to council, Kevin Zurschmiede, can sympathize with his honor.

Interestingly enough, Mr. Coffey was the only elected official who did not raise his right hand to take the oath. Wonder if that makes the oath invalid?

7 comments:

John Gonder said...

NASC:

Am I missing something; how was Terry Cody's name misspelled?

And for the record, I join CM Coffey in being sworn in sans raised hand. I asked Judge Cody after the ceremony if it was, in fact,official. He said that about half way through the oath he realized he had not raised his hand, and felt it would be a distraction to do so that far into the oath.

Hand up or hand down, I thank Judge Cody for his administering of the oath and his kind words about my father, whose presence was sorely missed.

Shadow5 said...

I agree...it would have been a distraction. But the question is still valid, even if we were just having a little fun with Mr. Coffey's having once again drawn attention to himself.

No doubt The Honorable Terrance Cody has the final say, and Dan Coffey did exactly as the judge instructed him to do.

Ceece said...

Mr. Gonder, can I ask why you did not raise your hand?


Forgive my ignorance, I just don't know what kind of a statement this would be.

Thanks!

Shadow5 said...

John, I acknowledge (though don't recall) that you were not asked to raise your hand. With four judges offering ten swearings-in, it was hard to track. But I can see where if you are instructed by a judge to do X, you do X, and if you are not so instructed, you wouldn't raise your hand.

I've checked with impeccable sources: the Destinations Booksellers customer list, the AT&T phone directory, etc, and will concede that it is Terrence.

Why then do some official documents bear the spelling of Judge Cody's name with an "a"?

John Gonder said...

ceece:

I was not asked to raise my hand. I had expected to do so, but when Judge TerrENCE Cody didn't ask me to, I just assumed that's oath-taking in the new millenium. I have no prior experience on which to draw. The judge assured me that despite this gesture, I am official.

Ceece said...

ah! Thanks!

Shadow5 said...

John,

I can't imagine what a diminishment it would be if I were to achieve office without my father taking notice.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Terry's friend was there watching.

I know that if my father couldn't "know" that I had both aspired to and achieved elected office, it would be a bittersweet accomplishment.

It was (and is, fortunately) my father's example that has motivated my own political activity. If I haven't adequately expressed it, I am very proud of you for having run (twice) and won your election.

It is a responsibility that I know you will fulfill.